Via www.southarts.org – “Filmmaker submissions for the 2018-2019 Southern Circuit are now open! Submit your film via FilmFreeway
We screen feature-length animation, documentary, experimental and narrative films. Southern Circuit is composed of three separate Circuits, each with six filmmakers (for 18 filmmakers total) who travel (by air and auto) to an estimated six-eight communities each throughout the South (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee). The Circuit tours take place the months of September, October, November, February, March, and April. Filmmakers will tour an estimated 10-12 days.
Filmmakers selected for the 2018-2019 Southern Circuit receive:
- A $400 screening honorarium for each screening on the tour. Total screening honoraria may total as much as $3,200.
- Paid travel expenses (prepaid airfare; reimbursement for car rental, gas expenses, and airline baggage fees) for the tour.
- A per diem of $200 (per evening away from home) to cover expenses for meals and lodging.
- Logistics and travel support from the South Arts staff.
- Marketing support from South Arts and Screening Partners for each screening.
In return, selected filmmakers agree to:
- Travel to designated Screening Partner venues throughout the South.
- Present a screening approximately 40-120 minutes in length.
- Engage audiences in a 30-minute post-screening Q&A discussion of the work, the filmmaking process, and their lives as artists.
- Participate in program-related events coordinated by Screening Partners on the tour, such as private dinners, public receptions, classroom presentations, etc.
- Participate in Southern Circuit social media to promote the tour.
Film and Filmmaker Eligibility
- Southern Circuit accepts animation, documentaries, experimental and fiction films.
- Applicants must live in the United States with a valid driver’s license.
- Filmmakers must submit a film 40-120 minutes in length.
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2016.
- Both online screeners and exhibition prints must either be in English or have English subtitles.
- Filmmakers will be expected to drive between venues that are 300 miles or less.
- Southern Circuit does not have premiere requirements. However, the program does take previous screenings and broadcasts into consideration during the selection process. It is the filmmaker’s responsibility to notify Southern Circuit of any change in a premiere status during the submission process.
- If a film has a confirmed distribution deal, the filmmaker (or their production company) must legally maintain festival and educational distribution rights to participate in Southern Circuit. South Arts does not provide distribution fees.
- Films selected to tour must screen in DVD, Blu-ray or DCP.
- Entry fees are nonrefundable.
- Submissions must be available via the secure online screener function of FilmFreeway. Discs will not be accepted. You are required to keep us informed if passwords are updated.
- Entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, and permits necessary to present their work.
- Southern Circuit does not accept rough cuts, only completed films.
- All decisions made by Southern Circuit are final.
Submission Deadlines & Fees (opens January 2, 2018)
- Early Bird: January 31, 2018 – $25
- Regular: March 15, 2018 – $35
- Late: March 31, 2018 – $50
- Extended: April 15, 2018 – $60
For questions, please contact Teresa Hollingsworth at email@example.com.”
Click here to view full application online at www.southarts.org.